2018 Friday Harbor Salmon Classic Derby Rules
- Read All Rules Carefully – Avoid Disqualification!!!
- Failure to check-in on either day will result in team disqualification for the entire event.
- Failure to moor your vessel at Port of Friday Harbor will result in team disqualification.
Initial Derby check-in and packet pickup will take place on Thursday, February 8th, between 12:00 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the top of the Main Dock at the Port of Friday Harbor. There will not be a mandatory Skippers’ meeting on Thursday night. It is the responsibility of the Team Captain to pick up Derby packet and rules at time of check in, and it is the responsibility of all anglers to read and follow the rules outlined to avoid disqualification. Salmon Derby Series Grand Prize entry forms will be available and should be turned in at this time, as well as finalized member forms including names and email address for each team member.
All team boats must moor at the Port of Friday Harbor for the duration of the Derby. All teams must check in with a derby official Friday, February 9th, 2018 and Saturday, February 10th, 2018, between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. each morning at the Port of Friday Harbor. A later check in may be arranged by contacting a derby official or calling (360)472-0230, but shall be accomplished prior to fishing or by 4:00 p.m. each day if not fishing. A member of each team must be present to claim all but the top three cash prizes. Some non-cash prizes will be given out at the awards ceremony at 6:00 p.m. Saturday evening, at the San Juan County Fairgrounds in Friday Harbor. You must be present to claim these prizes. Cash prizes can be mailed.
- The Friday Harbor Salmon Classic will be held February 9-10, 2018. Fishing shall start on Friday at approximately 7:30 a.m. by canon start in Friday Harbor. Fishing will begin at sunrise on Saturday, but contestants may be underway before that time.
- Weigh in times will begin at noon on both fishing days. You must be in line to weigh your fish by 5:00 p.m. and weigh your fish the same day they were caught to be eligible for prizes. Each team of anglers should present fish for weigh-in at the same time. Fish shall be transported to the weigh-in site whole and un-gutted. You may bleed your fish if you choose to. All legal Chinook may be weighed.
- Prizes shall be awarded for largest salmon (by weight) in various categories and for tournament weight. Tournament weight is the combined weight of top four fish weighed for the 2 day derby. Derby officials shall conduct weigh-ins at Friday Harbor Seafood, located at the base of the main dock at the Port of Friday Harbor. Each team of anglers presenting their fish for weighing also must present their Derby ticket and shall at the request of derby officials sign an affidavit attesting that the fish was caught in compliance with state and Derby rules and regulations. Derby officials may ask to examine the Derby tickets and catch record cards of all occupants of the angler’s boat.
- Derby tickets shall cost $550.00 per team. No more than 4 licensed anglers per team, including skippers and mates aboard chartered vessels.
- A limited number of tickets will be made available for sale to the public. There shall be no refunds. This is an all-weather Derby. Participants are expected to use reasonable judgment and common sense with respect to weather and/or sea conditions.
- Each angler must have a valid WDFW license and catch record card and their Derby ticket in his or her possession while participating in the Derby. Each contestant must play and weigh-in his or her own fish. If any person aboard any Derby boat is not in possession of valid Washington State Fishing License and Salmon Catch Record Card, all anglers aboard that boat will be disqualified from the Derby.
- Derby participants may fish only in Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Marine Area 7. All fishing must be done in compliance with Washington fishing rules and regulations.
- Each boat must prominently display their team derby flag which is provided by the Derby organizers.
- A team may win more than one of the top three cash prizes. Prizes will be offered in descending order for heaviest salmon. In the event of identical official weights, the two tied weight-placing prizes will be added together, and the sum total of monies will be split between the two tied teams. All contestants qualifying for merchandise prizes must be present at the awards ceremony to claim their prize.
- The Derby judges shall consist of three persons and up to four alternates. Any dispute concerning enforcement of the Derby rules or procedures shall be settled by majority vote of the judges. There will be no appeal of their decision.
- Derby officials may direct that a fish be gutted after weighing and/or that it be examined by a fishery biologist or other expert, at the judge’s discretion. Anglers must initial the weigh-in report immediately upon the fish being weighed.
- One person may purchase tickets for other contestants; in that event the person buying the ticket shall be deemed to agree to these rules on behalf of the other contestant(s) for whom the tickets were bought. Anyone purchasing a ticket for someone else shall complete the registration form in the other person’s name.
- Any violation of Derby rules or regulations shall subject a violator to disqualification and may in the discretion of the judges subject the violator, and possibly those fishing with him or her, to permanent banning from future competitions. Persons observing possible rules violations are required to submit a written protest to the judges no later than 5:00 PM on Saturday, February 10, 2018. Official “Protest Forms” will be made available.
- Prize recipients are responsible for payment of any taxes that might be owed on a particular prize. Merchandise prizes shall have no cash value, and shall not be eligible for exchange or credit from the donor thereof. All prizes shall be final at the time of award.
- These rules may be changed by Derby officials at any time prior to the beginning of the first day of the Derby.
- By entering the Derby and/or entering to win the 2018 Derby Series Grand Prize Boat, each angler or participant acknowledges and agrees that his or her contact information may be made available to sponsors Allstate Corporation, Hewescraft Boats, and EZ Loader trailers, and each entrant further acknowledges that he or she may be contacted by the Derby Series sponsors. Anglers and participants who prefer not to be contacted by sponsors should send an email to email@example.com advising the Northwest Salmon Derby Series not to share their contact information with third parties.
- Any changes to these rules and any questions concerning these rules will be addressed prior to Thursday, February 8th at 5:00 p.m. Derby participants agree to hold harmless derby officials, judges, sponsors, and/or their respective officers, agents, servants and employees from any demands, claims, and/or liabilities of any kind or nature from and for any injuries or damages of any kind that participants might sustain as a result of participation in the derby, including the awards ceremony.